Tuesday, May 1, 2012

DIY Tutorial: Easy-Peasy Clay Pendant

So I've decided to try my hand at using clay for crafting.  I hadn't touched clay for years, since back in the days when I'd stuff the clay into the sea animal mold, pop it out and bake it, and glue it to a magnet.  I was thoroughly inspired by Lindsay over at Delighted Momma (see these bracelets, this necklace, and this pendant)  So I pulled my clay out of a drawer and got to work massaging that tough stuff back into workable form! And here's a little tutorial for you:)
First, massage your clay until it's soft and roll it into a ball between your hands.
Flatten out and form it until it's the right size and shape.  Then the fun part!  Look around for something with lots of texture....literally anything.  I found this quirky little porcelain frog in our kitchen.  The bumpy skin was perfect for texture!
Also, pieces of coral are really good.  Their little bumps are almost shaped like teeny-tiny flowers!  (Anyone else have random pieces of coral stored in their closet?)

Then, play with the texture piece until you get it looking however you fancy.

Make a hole with a toothpick or sculpting tool.  Bake in the oven at 275 for 15 minutes or whatever the directions are on the package.  Enjoy this simple piece with a fun outfit!

~K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a thought or two!